Feet up at Foxy's Bar, BVI'S

Feet up at Foxy's Bar, BVI'S

Monday, April 26, 2010

Putting Humpty Dumpty back together again





This is one of those jobs that just gets worse the further you get into it.  After finding that the strut and stern tube were out of line there was only one decision left to be made, remove the Strut.  Now that I had the complete drive line removed, it was time to come up with a plan to re-install and re-align the components. I machined two locating bushings, one in the aft end of the Strut bore and one in the forward end of the Stern Tube.  These bushings held the drive shaft central to the two bores.  I also machined two slip bushings that would locate inside the front bore of the Strut and the aft end of the Stern tube.  When everything was in alignment these two bushings would slip into the two bores.  The Strut was bedded back in place with 3m-5200, I think I ended up with more on me then the strut!  Once this was done all that was left to do was line the engine to the drive shaft.  The Dripless Seal was also installed as well.

Enough of this technical stuff.....let's go sailing!

No comments: